Monday, November 3, 2008

Oral fixation

Four. That's the number of teeth Alex has now. I cannot believe how quickly they have come in. I just checked, and it was only October 9 that I started mentioning that he was getting in his first tooth. Now he has the two top front teeth to go with the bottom two.

These last two teeth caught me by surprise. I recognized that he had become clingy and moody, but chalked it up to constipation rather than teething. The other might have had something to do with it as well. I tried giving Alex prunes to remedy that. They didn't work quickly, but once they got to work, they certainly did the job thoroughly!

I've been getting frustrated while feeding him his solid food lately. He just seems to fight me so much. He does seem to want the food, but keeps pushing me away as I feed him. I bring in other spoons so that he can feed himself and keep his hands busy, but those don't last very long. As soon as he sees my hand coming in with a spoon full of food he either bats it away or grabs it out of my hand. When he grabs it (and it is surprisingly difficult to get it back), he scrapes most of the food off of it, and then puts the metal end in his mouth. It gets very messy. Today I might have found a way around it, though. At dinner I started grabbing his left hand and holding it to the right side of his body as I brought the spoon full of peas towards him. With the distraction of his hands taken away, he was actually very good about opening his mouth to take the food. Strange.

Here's a video of Alex singing along with his musical table. Watch how skillfully he pulls himself up. And at the end you can see him take a quick gamble on letting go of the table altogether.

No comments: