Sunday, May 24, 2009

Playing

One of the mothers in the Mom's Group I belong to recently asked me about how Alex played. She has a girl who is a few weeks younger than Alex, who she is trying to raise in a somewhat gender-neutral environment. Her daughter likes to do what Mommy does, so is very interested in taking care of her dolls, which she feeds and puts diapers on. I think this is so precious! The mom asked if Alex also liked to imitate me, by taking care of dolls, or any of the other Mommy things he sees me do.

Alex does have a few stuffed animals, which he is mildly fond of. If I ask him where his dog is, he will pick up the dog, give it a big hug, and bite it on the nose. He has never, to my knowledge, tried to feed, dress, or diaper any of his stuffed animals. Perhaps he would be interested in taking care of something more "human," such as a baby doll. But I think it's pretty likely that he would do with a baby doll what he does with all of his other toys--throw it, hit it against something, or pull it out of whatever container it is in.

I have seen some change lately in the way that he plays with his toys. He has always been very interested in emptying containers, whether his toy basket or a kitchen cabinet. He also enjoys knocking down stacks of blocks or cups. But in the past two months or so he has also shown some interest in putting things into containers, and has even attempted to stack and nest his stacking cups. It's nice to see him attempt to build, along with his wanton destruction!

He also enjoys carrying heavy things around. He finds the biggest toys and household items to move from one place to another. The video below shows him carrying his ball popper, trying to put it into my lap.

He's very interested in the natural world. We often watch the birds, or "bish" outside his bedroom window. When we go to the park, he usually gets bored with the playground fairly quickly. He prefers to go look at the trees, or chase after squirrels and birds. He often gathers sticks on these occasions. Sometimes he tries to gather so many that when he opens his fist to put another stick in, several others fall out. It keeps him busy trying to get them all in!

Alex discovering dandelions


I like sticks!

Another fine installment in the "look what I found when I went to get him from his nap" series







No comments: