Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Vaccinations and Grandma


Yesterday I had planned to pick up my mom from the train station, go to lunch, and then take Alex to his doctor's appointment. But my mom's train was delayed by about 4.5 hours due to a suspicious package left on a train, which caused a station to be closed down for several hours. So we went to the doctor's appointment first.


He now weighs 16 pounds, 4.4 ounces (7.382 kg), and is 26.5 inches tall (0.673 m). This puts him at the 73rd percentile for weight, 91st percentile for height, and 36th percentile for head circumference.


It is also expert medical opinion that Alex is perfect. That's right, perfect. It's nice to have that corroborated by an impartial source! I love it that his pediatrician thinks he is perfect. Actually, I think that is really why I chose her. Alex originally had another doctor, who we went to for his first appointment. She was very nice, seemed quite knowledgeable, and we would have been very happy with her as his doctor. Then two days later we went back to the clinic because he started crying so much that I thought something was wrong with him. (I think it's perfectly reasonable for a new parent to be a little bit paranoid, so I'm OK with the fact that I brought him in for what turned out to be nothing. It's not as though I brought him in at midnight or anything like that.) For this appointment, we got a different doctor, and she kept saying that he was perfect. Since she was also very nice and seemed quite knowledgeable, I decided to switch to her. Because along with her other virtues, she sees how great my child is, so I guess I just trust her judgement more! Aren't parents supposed to be biased like that?


Alex got his second set of vaccinations (except for the one that is in short supply, that we will have to come back next week to get). He was OK for the oral one, though obviously did not enjoy the taste of it. But boy, does he not enjoy the shots! When the nurse stuck in the first needle, he initially had a stunned expression, then opened his mouth to scream. No sound came out for the first 10 seconds or so of the scream, but then it came in full throttle. He didn't even react to the second shot because he was still screaming from the first. After a few minutes of being held and sucking his thumb, he recovered enough that he even gave the nurse a nice smile.


The vaccinations made him a little under the weather, as they did last time. He's had a fever (not too high, though), and woke up a few times in the night, whimpering. He is also a little fussier today, and is getting tired much sooner than usual. His first nap usually lasts about 45-60 minutes, but today it lasted for almost 2 hours. Maybe this is the secret to extending his nap times!


Alex is also enjoying spending time with his Grandma. He likes having another person around to dote on him and pick him up. She can't believe that he gets cuter every time she sees him. Each time, she thinks he can't possibly get any cuter, but is amazed that he manages it! She enjoys hearing him babble and seeing him smile. She also says that it is a joy see what good parents we are (aw, shucks!), and that Alex has lots and lots of love. She is also impressed that I read to him every night, because it's never too early to start.

No comments: