Alex had a really hard time falling asleep last night. We started trying to put him to bed at 8. I didn't give him a bath, because Navid gave him a bath in the morning. But I did read him his bedtime stories--he especially likes Goodnight Moon because it's bigger and has brighter pictures than the other books I read to him. We put him in the hammock that we use to get him to sleep, and he just cried. Now, he usually does cry for a few minutes before falling asleep, but he just kept crying. I fed him, changed his diaper, held him to comfort him, and still no sleep. Then Navid gave it a go, and did all the things that normally get him to sleep. No dice. I sang his little sleep song ("sleepy boy, sleepy boy" repeated many many times, sometimes with a few other lyrics thrown in) for a very long time. We all went into the bedroom and put Alex between the two of us on the bed. He LOVED that--he kept turning his head from side to side to give both of us big smiles. But it didn't make him sleepy. Finally, I got him to sleep by laying next to him on the bed, so that his arm could touch me. I softly sang his sleepy boy song to him, but I didn't look at him. Twenty minutes or so later, he finally gave in and slept!
I ordered a white noise machine (which comes inside a stuffed animal), and I hope that when it comes it will help him to sleep. I'd love for him to be able to sleep in his crib for naps, and to be able to fall asleep there. That's my goal for the next month or so--getting him to fall asleep in his crib. Otherwise we will have a miserable time when we travel at the end of July.

No comments:
Post a Comment